Wednesday, November 12, 2008

So...... Why Italy?

Yup, it's a question I get asked a lot, by Brits and Italians alike, and I can't say I blame them! I'm only 22, and it's quite a mental thing to have gone to another country on your own to work, I'm fully aware of that. But during the last year of uni it was the only thing I wanted to do, go out to Italy for a year or 2, I didn't really mind where, but Milan was a dream. I wanted to come out here to improve my Italian, even after 4 years of uni I wasn't really happy with the level of my language and felt it could be an awful lot better. And it's one thing learning a language at school or at uni, it's a completely different thing learning a language from speaking and hearing it ever day in a country where that language is spoken; I mean, even now I'm still picking up so much stuff! Not so much grammar (though I reckon my subjunctive's improved since I got here, it's always been a problem for me....) but new vocab, and obviously you pick up how the language's actually spoken in day to day life.

And of course, there's just living in Italy itself! The food, the lifestyle, the clothes... I love it! Even in a big city like Milan the atmosphere's a lot less hectic than in big British cities, and there are some places in Milan that are just amazing! The Galleria's a favourite of mine, and obviously Piazza Duomo's amazing too. There's that mix of the old and the new that I find fascinating too, for me Italian cities are so unique! I'm really hoping to be able to do some more travelling soon to explore more of the country!

No comments: