Sunday, November 9, 2008

Trains, strikes and sleep deprivation...

Ok, so my first proper post is a bit of a geeky one, but there we go....

Trains, yes... Practically the only drawback about living where I do is the busy train line that's like within a stone's throw of the flat. And after getting woken up every morning by the ruddy things every morning since getting here I feel like I need to let off a bit of steam to someone..... Thing is about me is that I'm a country girl, this's the first time in my life I've lived in a town, never mind a city! So yeah, I'm not exactly used to the noise! But getting woken up at 5.30am by anything is never pretty, and I've been a bit sleep deprived since I arrived here last week. Yes, I've got earplugs, but I'm not much of a fan of them, and besides, I need to get used to the noise, so it'll mean quite a few more sleep deprived days yet!

And as I'm going on a little train journey this afternoon, another little bit about Italian trains. There's a 24 hour strike which starts at 9pm tonight and ends at 9pm tomorrow night, and then the buses and underground's on strike too from 8.30 tomorrow morning from what I heard last night. Ok, so it doesn't cause any problems for me, but you can imagine how annoying it is for a helluva lot of people. Milan's mental to drive in, as big cities are, and I'm actually quite thankful that I don't have the option of being able to drive as I've never passed my driving test! Big strikes are so common here in Italy, I mean, the other week schools were on strike! It seems a bit mental for someone who's not used to it, or people in countries such as the UK where we don't have such a tradition of having big strikes quite often, but it seems that in Italy there always seems to be something worth striking over!

And trains in Italy aren't as punctual as people outside the country think... Yes, they're very cheap, but at least amongst the people I knew at home, everybody thought the public transport system in Italy was always punctual. Not always the case.... The other day I took a train back from Milan to where I was staying before moving here, and I got back nearly an hour late! We were sat like lemons in Milano Centrale for like 40 minutes, nobody had a clue what was going on. So yeah, I guess that's Italian myth #1 dispelled.....

2 comments:

robertina said...

hi nerys! i'm following your blog...can i?
all my love, my little welshie!
rb

Nezza said...

Of course you can Robi!! Nice to know someone's reading it lol!