Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tourist? Italian? Somewhere inbetween??

I went shopping this morning, and as tourist season's well & truly underway, I seem to be causing the Milanese some confusion! I've got natural blonde hair, blue eyes & am very fair, so I obviously don't look Italian. During the winter nobody spoke English to me, well, ok, there were a couple of occassions, but nothing much. One I remember was before Christmas, I was in the H&M near Piazza Duomo, and one of the sales assistants started speaking English to me when I was going to try some clothes on. I said I spoke Italian, that I'd studied it at uni, and the poor guy said he was glad I spoke Italian cos his English wasn't great! He even asked me to check something they had up in the changing rooms written in English, about putting clothes back on their hangers or something; and it was nice being able to help out in such a way.

Today I had a lot of mixed reactions, some people took me for Italian, mainly the people conducting surveys on the street & the ragazzi selling bracelets/books; but it was only one person who actually spoke to me in English. It was a sales assistant in Zara when I was paying for my things. He said the price in Italian first, quickly followed by the English. Then I produced my Italian bank card, and his expression cracked me up! It was a mixture of 'd'oh!' mixed with amusedness, I think I'd managed to properly confuse him! Needless to say, he spoke Italian for the rest of the time he was serving me!

But I had a lovely morning shopping, I can't believe all the stuff I bought! Those 5 kilos I've lost have certainly made a big difference! Certainly made up for all those weeks I couldn't find anything!

According to one of the pharmacies in Piazza Duomo, the temperature was 31 degrees, that must've been about midday. It didn't feel that hot though! I know there was a nice breeze, but I think I must be getting acclimatised, at least to a degree! I just remember 3 years ago, during my year studying in Italy, at this point it was so hot, it was a nightmare trying to get a decent night's sleep! I know that was in the centre of Italy and now I'm up north, but it couldn't have been that much of a difference! I never would've thought that I'd ever say like 30 degrees was nice!!

No comments: