Saturday, July 11, 2009

From the 'Nobody Told Me..' series: Monsoon Season!

I'd never been in Italy at all during the first half of July before this year, and the only time I'd been in the north of the country during the summer before was a week at the beginning of August; and I have been amazed at the weather this month! So many thunderstorms!! Tuesday morning was mad, the mother of all thunderstorms rolled into Milan around 6.30 in the morning! Of course, it woke me up, with 2 hours to go before I needed to get up for work - not happy!! It even caused a powercut! I live in a mahoosive block of flats, and our patch had no power for the best part of 3 hours. 3 hours! In a big city like Milan, I couldn't believe it! The other side of the flats didn't get their power back til about 11, and the houses in the nearest piazza didn't until 5 that afternoon! It's so Italian that it took so long, but surely that's poor for even a town, never mind Milan. From what I heard Milan and Bergamo (around an hour to the east of Milan) got hit the worst, the pictures that I saw on the news was insane! So much rain in such a short amount of time! I had no idea the weather could be so bad in the summer!!

No comments: