Friday, July 17, 2009

Nerys’s Random Tips for living in Milan #1

Always carry extra spare change.

I learned the hard way on Tuesday night that I should always have some spare change on me! I was coming home on the metro from Sesto F.S after being going to the cinema with a couple of friends, and I’d completely forgot that Sesto was out of the city, and so the urban metro/bus/tram 10 trip carnet I had wouldn’t cover my trip home! I didn’t have enough loose change, and didn’t have a note less than 20 euro, and by then it was around 11.30pm, no bars or anything open, and the ticket machines didn’t have enough change - PANIC!! I asked as many people as I could if they could change my 20, no luck. But then a flash of inspiration hit me! A few weeks ago I’d found a euro by the side of the road near work, and I’d put it in my bag – not in my purse, just in my bag. I frantically scrambled around in my bag, digging things out, trying to find this euro that I knew I had somewhere at the bottom of my bag! And I found it! So I was able to buy an interurban ticket and finally get on the metro and home to my bed!

So the moral of this story is, if you take public transport in Milan, especially late at night, make sure you’ve got change to cover your journey before you leave the house!! What I’m going to do from now on is carry a couple of euros extra in my bag – not stashed away at the bottom though! – not in my purse so I won’t be tempted to spend them, just in case this sort of situation happens again!

2 comments:

Eleonora Ferrari said...

That's a good tip Nerys! Have you found that in supermarkets they don't like giving change of large notes so it's always useful to have coins?

They say that it is lucky to pick up a coin that you find in the street because an angel drops coins to remind us that somebody cares for us and will make us smile? It certainly was lucky for you... Buona fortuna!

Nerys said...

To be honest, I always use my card at the supermarket, I usually end up buying more stuff than planned & don't have enough cash!

Indeed, it was very lucky! I was panicking so much!!