Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back in (ghost town!) Milan!

So, I'm back from a lovely, though rather hectic week at home! I got back on Sunday after an epic almost-10 hours' travelling (damn you Cardiff airport!!), to a dead Milan! I'm still trying to recover from always being in giro at home, seeing family and friends, going out on the town, shopping, and going to the coast! It's amazing how much you can fit into a week when you have to!

It was so strange being home after being in Italy for over 7 months solid, people had changed, my hometown had changed a surprising amount, and it was so cold!! I stepped off the plane at Bristol around 10.30 on August 1st shaking and shivering! Ok, so it was night, but still, it was so cold! Even in the daytime up until Weds was cold, on Wednesday I was the only one walking around the shops in a jacket and scarf! I was amazed at how little some people were wearing, it wasn't even 20 degrees at that point!

And speaking of shopping, I had a lot of fun in the British shops! I officially fit a British size 10 and I'm absolutely chuffed to bits!! I even bought 2 pairs of skinny jeans that I absolutely adore! I never would've imagined even a few months ago being able to buy skinny jeans! But annoyingly because of Ryanair's 15kg hold luggage limit (mine was 15.5 kg! Ha!) I had to leave some things at home, and get my mam to send them out in autumn. But there we go...

On the way home I flew from Malpensa airport, I'd flown into Malpensa twice before, the first time being when I first arrived in Italy last year; but I'd never flown from Malpensa. And I don't think I will again. Getting to the airport's fine, I took the Malpensa Express from Cadorna station. That was fine, I got there on time, and the journey was easy. The disaster was once we got to the airport. Having arrived on the train, I needed to get the shuttle bus over to terminal 2 for my flight. Which meant waiting for ages. Bang went my plan of managing to get to check in on time! And check in was another disaster too. I was flying home with Easyjet, and I never expected them to be so disorganised in an airport like Malpensa! 3 check-in desks open, from the like 15 that they had, for at the 3 flights that I knew of, and because of the shuttle bus I ended up near the back of the queue! Frustrating isn't the word. And then the flight was late!! It may be out of the city, but I think I'll stick to Bergamo from now on!

And when I got back on Sunday the city was deserted! Walking to work yesterday was one of the strangest things, the streets were quiet, hardly any cars, more shops than usual were shut, and the sky was a very ominous looking dark colour!! It was like everyone in Milan knew something bad was up, except for me, who, after coming back from a week at home, didn't know anything about it!! I'm getting used to it now though, for one thing it means less chance of getting run over as I go to work every day! I wish I was off on holiday too though, even though I've just been home for a week - I want a proper holiday like everyone else! :(

No comments: