Saturday, August 22, 2009

Flying to Italy

Maybe it's the heat, or the lack of sleep, or more than likely a combination of the two, but this week I've been in quite a ranting mood...

Every so often I sneak in a little rant about how difficult it is for me to fly to and from home to Milan. The problem isn’t in Italy, I could fly to/from any of the three airports which are in & around Milan: Malpensa, Linate and Bergamo. The problem is the UK. My nearest airport at home, Cardiff, doesn’t do any non-charter flights to anywhere in Italy! To be honest, it still baffles me. So then, the next closest airport is Bristol.

The option I usually take to get there is the train, and then the airport bus from Bristol Temple Meads, which takes around 3 1/2 hours (compared to the car journey of around 2 1/2). And to catch the flight back to Bergamo that I usually get, it means getting the train around 6am. Then changing trains twice along the way. And then getting the aiport bus. And after the panic when I missed my first connection when I was coming back to Italy after Christmas - thanks to a fault on the line - I never want to take the train to the airport ever again. I don't care that it was the first train after Christmas, it's just too risky now. There is the coach, but it takes a long time, (anything between 4 hours 50 minutes to 6 hours 50 minutes!) and never gets me to the airport in time for a flight. And not only is it a pain for me, it's a pain for everyone else who comes out here to see me. My mam even said when I was home a couple of weeks ago that the next time she comes out here she'll get the coach up to Heathrow cos it's easier. That takes between 5- 5 1/2 hours on the coach, which makes the length of the journey to Bristol seem even more ridiculous. I just think it's a bit of a joke really that someone would have to travel that far in their own country to get a flight to a big European city. And I think I probably will have to do the same the next time I go home too, unless I'm lucky like I was last time when I actually got a lift home and back up to the airport cos there was no traffic. I'm so jealous of people who can get to and from airports at home without any problem, it's just unnecessary stress!

I think I need a big glass of vino and a lie down in a very air-conditioned room!!

No comments: