Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nerys's Guide to Italian Music - Jovanotti

I'd been thinking recently about sharing some of my favourite Italian songs, and to my amusement, the list got quite long, so a change of plan was needed! I'm not pretending to be any kind of expert on Italian music, it was something I had not much of an idea about up until just over 4 years ago, when I first came to Italy - my education's been mostly listening to far too much Italian radio during my time in the country!

So I've decided on a guide to Italian music, my style! And the first artist is one of my favourites, Jovanotti. I was introduced to him pretty much on arrival in Urbino, to what's remained one of my favourite Italian songs ever, Mi fido di te.

Annoyingly I couldn't find a video of it that I could embed, so there's a link to one on youtube instead...

Jovanotti - Mi fido di te

Even though I could only grasp the odd word in the song, I fell in love with it. And now it reminds me of the wonderful year I had in Urbino.

Over the last few years Jovanotti's chilled out a bit, compared to his stuff from the 90s (his songs that *I* know at least!!), releasing ballads such as Mi fido di te and Come musica from last winter. One exception though is this summer's cheese-tastic Punto with Sergio Mendez!



And my second favourite song of his is another one I discovered during my year in Urbino, it used to get played in a club we used to go to in the town - L'ombelico del mondo ('the belly button of the world!')



A fantastic, fun, party song - if you ask me anyway!

And one more to end with! The very beautiful, and very soppy A te from the summer of 2007. Here's a live performance from last year's Sanremo festival.

No comments: