Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The BA cabin crew strike - my 2 centesimi

As usual, I'm a bit slow on the uptake. But I've been trying to get my head around the whole strike situation, and trying to calm myself the hell down. I was fuming on Tuesday when I read the news, I can't even remember the last time I was that angry. I'd never sworn so much in the space of such a short time!! I've not slept well since finding out either, I'm so tired.

If anyone was reading my rants tweets about 3 weeks ago when I was trying to book my flights home would've seen how stressed I was just trying to book the flights! Nobody would come and pick me up from any airports, which created a nightmare situation for me. Normally I would've gone to Bristol with either Ryanair or Easyjet, and then get the train home. But after nearly losing my flight the last time I did this, I wasn't prepared to go through that again. After searching for flights from SEVEN different airports, the only options I had were to go to Gatwick, and then home on the coach, which would've included 2 changes - in short, no thanks, I can do without that stress. Then there was BA, it meant standing around in Heathrow for a few hours on the way home, but with a pretty straightforward journey home, one change in Swansea (the best part of an hour away from the end of my journey). So after some persuading from my mam, I booked my tickets with BA, to fly home on the 23rd and then back to Milan on the 29th.

And today BA and Unite are holding talks again to try and resolve the planned strikes, so things are just as up in the air as ever. I've almost quietly accepted my fate though, if I stay here for Christmas then so be it. It won't be nice, and I'll just want to be at home all day with my family; but if that's what'll happen, then that's what'll happen. I'm not even going to start ranting about it again, because nothing I do or say will change things; and I'm not letting myself get wound up again. All I can hope is that on Christmas Day I'll be home with my family, eating Christmas dinner, and opening my presents. And not here in Italy on my own.

No comments: