Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Weekend in Venice!

After over a year in Milan, and a whole academic year studying down in Urbino, I finally made it to Venice last weekend!! It was for my work's Christmas party, and party we did! Venice is the most surreal place I've ever been too, the second I stepped out of the train station it was like I was entering a different country. It was bizarre being able to understand everything - I say everything, but the Venetian accent isn't the easiest one for a wannabe milanese to understand! - and to be able to speak to everyone without a problem. It's only 2 1/2 hours from Milan, but a completely different world!!



When we arrived in Venice it was dark, and Piazza San Marco with all its lights was beautiful! After partying the night away, I managed to drag myself out of bed Saturday morning to do some sightseeing - no hangover was going to stop me from seeing Venice!! We had (a very expensive!!) breakfast in Piazza San Marco, a lovely way to start the day, and something that definitely had to be done! Lunch was fantastic too, one of the best pizzas I've ever had (might've had something to do with the hangover & sleep deprivation though...!!) with scamorza (my favourite cheese!) and potatoes (yes, potatoes!)... all washed down with a glass of beer! Sorted me right out!!



The highlight of the day was a gondola ride home! It was completely a spur of the moment thing, we'd not planned to go in a gondola at all! It was lovely, we were in a pimped out black gondola with prosecco, and a legend of a gondoliere! I'm so glad we did it, definitely worth it!!




And being in Venice, we couldn't leave without buying masks! As you can see from my picture on here, I do like my masks, and this one is the first genuine Venetian one I bought! Very pretty!!

I can't believe it took me so long to get to Venice, it's so easy to get to from Milan!! Definitely be back there soon!

1 comment:

jane ward said...

Sounds a fab works do,and love the pink mask.