Monday, January 4, 2010

A Mission for 2010!

I don't usually do new year's resolutions, simply because I don't stick to them! But this year I've been inspired! I stayed in on new year's eve - I'm not one for going out on NYE, I usually stay in with family or friends - and watched Rai Uno's L'anno che verrĂ , which involved a lot of singing. Some stuff I knew, but a lot of stuff I didn't. And that gave me the idea of getting to know more Italian music over the year, like the songs from NYE that everyone knew. I'd say my knowledge of current Italian music, and going back through the noughties, is pretty good, because I spend a lot of time listening to the radio; and then there's the odd cheesy song from the 80s I know thanks to my Erasmus year, and also from Italian radio. It's when we start going back further in time that the problems start.

So I've decided to go on a bit of a mission - that of discovering at least one new Italian song every day. Not by coming across something by accident on the radio, but by going to find songs on Youtube or wherever. The question is, in a country that has such a rich musical tradition, where do I start? I decided to find some songs I hadn't heard before by two of my favourite Italian artists, Jovanotti and Negrita, and I had a bit of a search for lists people had made of what they thought were the best Italian songs to get some ideas. I'll keep a track on here of what I've been listening to, and if anyone's got any suggestions please leave a comment, or tweet me @Nezza27 with what you think I should be listening to!

No comments: