Sunday, January 10, 2010

Nerys's Guide to Italian Music - Malika Ayane

Now this's someone I wouldn't have thought people outside of Italy would have heard of as much as other Italian singers I could write about, but Malika Ayane is my favourite Italian singer. Malika was born in Milan to an Italian mother, and a Moroccan father, and sings in both Italian and English. Almost half of the songs on her self-titled debut album are in English, but so far she's only released one of them, Feeling Better, in Autumn '08. It's still used in Vodafone adverts (well, it was for their Christmas campaign at any rate, I've not seen any new ones since), and was constantly on the radio when it was released.



My favourite song of hers' is one that she's recorded in both languages, but I was only aware of the English language version up until recently. The Italian version is called Sospesa ('Suspended'), which was the first single she released. The English-language version, Soul Waver, was my favourite out of the two, until I downloaded the album and gave the Italian Sospesa a few listens.





Her latest release was Contro vento, ('against the wind') and like the single before it, Come foglie ('like leaves') was very popular on Italian radio around the time of release:

5 comments:

maeghan said...

I love being pointed in the right direction to good music--especially in Italian!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

She's got a very pleasant voice, hasn't she? I didn't know of her. Buon anno, Nerys.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

There's an award for you on my blog.

Nerys said...

Buon anno to you too Welshcakes!

Thanks Maeghan, I love writing about music!

Nerys said...

Ooh, thank you for the award Welshcakes!!!