Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lost in Translation

It's actually not very often that I come across a bit of English here that's been translated badly. The only other time I remember coming across a substantial bit of bad translation was a few weeks ago, when the biscuits I were eating for breakfast claimed to be "healthiful" and contain "de-fatted" cocoa - and that's only what I can remember now! Today I went shopping in the centre of Milan, the sun had made me realise that I should start getting some summer clothes together, before it got too late like last year. On my list of things to get was a new pair of jeans, not exactly summery, but I've wanted a new pair for a while. I hadn't managed to find some jeans until today, I'd actually never bought any jeans in Italy at all before today - partly due to some rather traumatic experiences in the past!!

So, anyway, I found some jeans - in Terranova of all places! After my experience trying on jeans in Terranova during the summer of 2008, I'd not seen a pair I'd liked there since. But today was different! Not only did I find a nice pair of jeans, but the size that fitted me is a Small!! That made me stupidly happy!

The lost in translation? Well, here's what it says on a label on the jeans:


I know it's not very clear, it says "is my best favourite please look at me whoo is the lovellest", there's also something that's been crossed out after the "favourite", but I can't make out what it is. And this is from a company who have shops all over the world..... Sigh.

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You got jeans to fit in Terranova? I'll be in the local one first thing Monday [well, when thery open in the evening,that is]. Always finding terrible translations down here!

Nerys said...

Hi Welshcakes! I know, I was amazed!! They're still far too long, but very comfy!

Sarah in deepest, darkest Lomellina said...

I can live with the small bits of writing being ... interestingly translated.

It's when my son goes to bed in pajamas that scream in block capitals "I am the sleep GO !!", or similar that I get the hump.

Wish relatives would avoid buying him stuff with English written on it, but instead they think I'll like it more if my language is being mangled in colourful exuberance on the front of it.

Nerys said...

Hi Sarah! I've noticed that too, there's a lot of baby things in this country with with English (or French too) writing! Can't say I've noticed anything wrong so far though, but I'm probably just not looking hard enough!!

Sarah in deepest, darkest Lomellina said...

My husband's family have an inner radar that permits them to pass over the stuff that is inane, but at least correct..making instead a beeline for the most annoying possible bloopers possible.

It's a gift they have.