Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Milanese Pet Hates - Part 4

From the series: The Dangerous Life of a Pedestrian in Milan

People who park their cars on pedestrian crossings.

I would say that there must be a law against this, but being in Italy it doesn't make a blind bit of difference... Friday morning for example, at a crossing there were cars parked at both ends, meaning I had to weave even more to get to the other side of the road. I seem to be risking my life every morning just by walking to work, and it's really starting to wear a bit thin now...

4 comments:

Andy said...

Yes, there is a law against it and, from time to time, I see someone has a parking ticket. It's a shame they don't give parking tickets more often.

Nerys said...

Hi Andy! True, there's not enough of a deterrent. And then when the police themselves do it....!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! it's all coming back!
(Inspector Closeau on Pink Panther Nr. 3, I think)


You know what?

After 10 years living in Germany one fine day I finally got fined for parking too close to a pedestrian crossing.
Initially I thought that blue piece of paper on the windscreen was ads, but it wasn't.

As a born milanese I didn't even know there is a regulation about this matter. At the cost of 15,- freaking Euros I learnt that you are not allowed to park 5 mt away from a pedestrian crossing, which makes sense indeed.

Geppetto

Nerys said...

If only they'd fine people here!!