Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Milanese Pet Hates - Part 5

Again, one that won't be limited to just Milan - The queues in Italian supermarkets...

Italians don't get the concept of queuing like us Brits do. We may not be the most patient of people - but we more patient than the average Italian in a queue if you ask me! - we queue in order, people rarely get away with pushing in, and we don't normally have to queue for very long. Especially not in supermarkets. It doesn't matter what time of day it is or how many people are queuing, at my local supermarket there are never enough check-outs open. Look out for the vicious old sciure* too, creeping up RIGHT behind you!! Standing in a queue back into one of the aisles, hungry, is the last thing I want to do after a day in the office...

*sciure is milanese for 'signore' (as in the plural form of 'signora', the singular form in milanese being 'sciura')

2 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Here there are only ever two checkouts open at the most! i'm with you on queueing.

Marta said...

LOL, I am Italian and live in the UK now, and I soooo don't think Brits do know what a line is, sorry ;)