Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Playing Tourist with la Mamma

It's been a busy few days for me, I'm glad today's a holiday in Italy! Thursday evening my mam arrived in Milan (after a rather epic Cardiff-Amsterdam-Milan journey) to spend a few days here. And it meant putting on my tourist hat for the long weekend!

We spent a couple of days in Milan, seeing the usual sights, doing some shopping in the centre of Milan and on Corso Buenos Aires, and a couple of days at the lakes. On Saturday we went back to a place we first went to almost two years ago, when we stayed in Bergamo for a week, Varenna on Lake Como. It's only a little place, but it's very pretty. And it's so peaceful! So quiet, so calm - the complete opposite of Milan! And the air's so clean!! There's a gelateria down by the lake, next to one of the stone staircases which leads up to the upper part of the town, decorated with colourful pillows so people can sit down to eat their gelato. This time we recreated a photo that was taken of me on those stairs, eating an icecream, almost two years on and over two stone lighter!


On Sunday we went to Desenzano del Garda. I'd actually never been to Lake Garda before (I know, I know...), but I was impressed by Desenzano. It was more like being at the seaside than a lake, not being able to see the other side of the lake helped! Even though it was Sunday almost everywhere was open, and the weather was lovely - even though we'd left a pretty miserable Milan behind! Amusingly I ordered my lunch off a German menu, it was nice being able to use it and hear it being spoken around me again. It's always fun confusing people with my multilingualism, me and my mam would speak Welsh together, I'd come out with a milanese-influenced Italian when she couldn't speak the language, and then we'd understand the English that was spoken to us perfectly. Some times people didn't know what was going on!

A rather hazy Desenzano harbour - before the sun came out!

Then on Tuesday morning she went back home, and I went back to my trying-to-act-like-a-native thing. Today's a holiday in Italy, very good timing for me - playing tourist's very tiring!!

2 comments:

Sarah in deepest, darkest Lomellina said...

It's nice tho, what with work and life and stuff getting in the way, to be able to get out and about and see a bit of the country.

15 years and I am still yet to see Venice, Rome etc. (going anywhere is hard when you have an absolutly zoo of animals living with you)

But Como, Bergamo etc are at least within easy reach and blow the cobwebs off.

Nerys said...

Hi Sarah! Yes, it's nice to get out of the city every so often, away from the chaos and smog, and it's so nice at the lakes. I haven't been any further south than Rome - that needs to be sorted!!