Thursday, August 5, 2010

"Ciao bella!"

Apologies in advance if this turns out to be somewhat of a rant.....

The major disadvantage of being blonde in this country is not the stereotype of being stupid, but the unwanted attention that it attracts. Yes, to a degree I bring it on myself by dying my hair, but even before I started dying my hair blonde again my hair colour was still blonde for Italians. During a period of around 15 minutes during my lunch break yesterday not one, but two random men went "ciao bella" at me in the street. What amused me the most was that I had my big ol' sunglasses on - they pretty much cover half of my face, how can you tell if someone's bella if you can't see like half of their face?? Luckily for me I was listening to my iPod, so I could pretend that I hadn't heard the comments - definitely one of my tips when it comes to living in Milan, even if you're not listening to anything, put a pair of earphones in your ears! - and carried on walking.
The funny thing is, when I first came to Milan I used to get some unwanted attention, not much, but enough to keep me on my toes. And as soon as I had wised up to the game and the tricks that some blokes would pull, the attention stopped - completely during the daytime! It wasn't until recently that, for some reason, I started attracting unwanted comments again. I first started dying my hair again in February, but funnily enough the comments didn't re-start until pretty much when I'd finally reached my target weight of 50 kg nearly a month ago. Do one or two kilos really make that much difference??

It makes me feel uncomfortable. It hasn't caused any big problems yet, but I'm always worried that someone will turn nasty, you never know. It's just one of the things I have to put up with here, and unfortunately it's become more of a pain during the last few weeks. Hopefully in winter, all wrapped up in layers and layers of clothes I won't attract as much attention??

No comments: