Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cibo!

It's funny how your eating habits can completely change in a different country... It's not just the availability of ethnic food, or not having certain things that you grew up with (oh chicken soup, how I miss you...), I've also started eating random things that I never used to want to eat when I was at home!
  • Lettuce
Last summer I was eyeing up the salads in a bar next to work, and one day I decided to go for it. I NEVER used to eat salad, in burgers I used to take the lettuce out even if it I'd have barely tasted it as was covered in sauce. I still don't like tomatoes, and just the smell of rocket makes me nauseous, but lettuce is all good (especially covered in aceto!!)

  • Olives
All the olives I'd ever tried outside Italy were too sour, not that I'd actually eaten a lot of them though I must admit - I'd figured out years ago that I didn't like them! I was wary of them when I first tried them here, but knowing that in general fruit and veg are nicer here, I decided to give them a go!

  • Dark chocolate
When it comes to Italian chocolate, their best, without a doubt, is dark chocolate. It's of a much better quality than anything I'd tried at home, and less bitter too. Baci (link), made with dark chocolate, are my favourite chocolates here! I've also grown to like white chocolate recently too.

  • Mayonnaise
This one I can't figure out for the life of me. I used to avoid mayonnaise at all costs at home, but here I'll gladly eat it! It only started a few weeks ago when I chose to have some mayonnaise with my chips and cotoletta (buonooooo!!), and today for lunch I had a panino with salame, mozarella and mayonnaise.

But this also seems to work in reverse - there are a few things that I ate during my first winter here that, for some reason, I no longer liked last winter. There's polenta, puré and kaki for a start... And the trouble with living on my own is the temptation to eat junk food - I really must learn how to cook properly!!

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You're right - living abroad does change your tastes.