Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Il controesodo"

Also known as "il rientro", it's the Italians' return home after the holidays. I don't remember it starting so early last year, but last weekend was a "bollino nero" on the motorways of Italy, meaning that it was going to be a very very busy weekend for traffic. Milan's starting to wake up, even though a lot of shops around where I live are still closed, and won't be re-opening until the beginning of next week. I've been lucky that I haven't had any problems this summer with places being closed, luckily the supermarkets near me have been open, there's always been somewhere to have lunch, and I caught the hairdressers before they went away on their holidays.

I love Milan during August, it's so quiet! No traffic, no people, nothing. It's so much more relaxing, it's like a break from hectic city life without leaving the city! Yes, it was still strange to start off with, after that last weekend in July when so many people left the city, but it didn't take me long to get used to it. Now I wish it could stay this way - just without all the closed shops!!

My holidays aren't quite over, I'm leaving Milan for Switzerland tomorrow. First stop Zurich, then Saturday morning I'll be going to a festival on the German/Austrian border, in a little place called Arbon. And yes, the reason I'm going is to see Mika!! I'll be back in Milan on Sunday and then that'll officially be the end of my summer!

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Same here - people are starting to come back but it's not been as dead as in previous years. Have a good trip.