Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rain...

When it rains in Milan during the summer it rains. Proper full-blown thunderstorms that last for hours, in most cases it's worse than winter rain. It's rare that it rains during the day, most storms are during the evening or at night, so it's not very likely that you'll get caught out in a storm. I got woken up this morning around 5am by thunder, and I knew there wasn't much chance that the storm would calm down before I had to get up at 7.30. And I was right, when I left the house around 8.30 it was still raining heavily, but the thunder and lightning had stopped thankfully! But with a broken umbrella it wasn't much fun! I'd discovered at the beginning of last month, after taking my umbrella to a concert so I could get some shade from the sun, that it was broken, and I hadn't been able to find a new one. Finding umbrellas during spring and summer when it's not raining doesn't seem to be the easiest thing in Italy! When it is raining you can find street sellers in the underground stops and train stations selling umbrellas, but when it's not there are no umbrellas to be found! And this leaves me wondering, I may not have to go out in the rain again this month, but I've got another concert in 2 weeks and I need a brolly that isn't falling apart - when am I going to be able to find a much-needed new umbrella??

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

And when you do find an umbrella, their design is often unwieldy, in my opinion - the stupid things don't close properly.