Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bloccata

Blocked. Stuck.

If you follow me on Twitter you'll know that I haven't been able to make it home for Christmas. My flight did actually leave this afternoon, but getting that flight wouldn't have been much good as I would've wound up stuck in London. I'd arranged to phone my mam last night and the second she answered the phone I knew it wasn't good news. She'd been stuck at home for days, the M4 was a nightmare, and there were a lot of problems on the trains. Getting back from London, back home in the middle of the country, would be pretty much impossible.

So, as difficult as a decision it was, we decided to leave it.

It'll be my first Christmas in Italy, the first one away from home. Last year I made it home by the skin of my teeth, and the year before I went home too. I went food shopping for Christmas dinner today, and came back with lots of goodies. I'm not much of a cook, but I'm looking forward to making myself a big Christmas dinner.

I'll be sending my Christmas presents in the post, and there's a parcel on its way for me too. I'm planning to go back home in February - when the snow's all gone hopefully!!

Oh, and I made it on-air on Radio Deejay last night again - always seems to happen when I'm feeling sorry for myself!! - and I make an appearance at 26:50 http://www.deejay.it/dj/radio/programma/reloaded/35/2010-12-21/Solo-Tre-Minuti?idProgramma=166. Nothing like a good sob story at Christmas eh??

4 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry you couldn't make it home but have a lovely time here in Italy!

Nerys said...

Thanks Welshcakes :)

rowlandjones said...

I haven't heard the term 'welshie' for many years. I'd guess you're from the South: I'm a 'Swansea Jack' as someone from Llanelli used to call me... in a not very polite way.
Lovely to read your post referring to 'mam'.
When I first came to Umbria to live, I went to do some shopping in the village: I said (in Italian) I'm sorry I don't speak much Italian but . . .'
The woman said you speak better Italian than most Germans (I'm tall and fair-skinned)
I said Non sono Tedesco.
She said. You speak better Italian than most English.
I responded: I'm not English, I'm Welsh.
Her response: 'Come la principessa.' Of course, the Italians adored Diana, so we had a discussion, about how she was not Welsh AND neither is Carlo. Anyway they now know, to not call me English :-)
Lesley and I have also been making Welsh Cold Tea Bread which they love!
Ah well Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

Nerys said...

Hi Rowland! Yes, I'm from the south, rural Carmarthenshire.

I've had 'come la principessa/il principe' more times than I'd like to count, and most people now appreciate the difference between being English and Welsh.

I've been mistaken for all sorts as I'm fair too, German, Scandinavian, American, Austrian...

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to you too :)