Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Milanese Pet Hates - Part 6

Ok, this's another one that isn't just common to Milan, but never mind.

Supermarket opening times. Oh yes, I'm back on the supermarkets again.

For the last two years of my degree I lived about five minutes from a 24 hour Tesco. It was fantastic. I could rock up there at any time of the day or night (ok, bar Sundays...) without thinking about it. We'd even go on raids at stupid o'clock in the morning after nights out. But here it's not so simple.

Luckily the supermarket I have about 10 minutes down the road isn't as old-skool as to close at lunch, but it's the Sunday closures that annoy me. Because some Sundays there's that one thing you want to eat, or maybe that one thing you need to clean the house or do the washing, but you can't get it because there isn't a supermarket nearby open.

I've discovered that my supermarket seems to be open every third Sunday. There's some sort of law that dictates that only a certain amount of supermarkets in one particular area can be open on any given Sunday, but I've never looked into it in detail.

I'm not the sort of person do to a full-on shop on a Sunday, but just having the security of knowing that my supermarket's open on Sundays would be nice, just in case...

5 comments:

charlie said...

Luxury! Here they're shut from 1-4 or 5 every day....closed thursday afternoons and sunday afternoon too, I think the nearest auchan is also closed on Monday morning for restocking.
And don't get me started on the butcher and fishmonger closing times!!
(I heart sainsburys!)

Nerys said...

Hi Charlie! I had to live with something similar when I was studying down in Urbino - it's awkward! It was so much easier back in the Old Country, right?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It's the fact that the supermarkets here stock so few non-food lines that sometimes gets to me.

Stuart Mathieson said...

Dear Mr Tesco,

please could you take over Esselunga and bring 24 hour onion bhaji access to Italy...

Nerys said...

Ciao Welshcakes, it annoys me too - took things like that for granted back home!

Hi Stuart, not sure about the onion bhajis, but I'm all for 24 hour opening!