Monday, June 27, 2011

My over-used Italian Words Part 2

Recently I've noticed that the amount of filler words I've been using in Italian has increased substantially. The thing is with words like that in a foreign language, things you only use in informal spoken language, is that you've picked them up from someone or somewhere; they're not words you learn during lessons, or in my case at university. But most of the time, I can't pinpoint where I've heard them! The words I've found myself using the most recently are:

Tipo - literally 'type', but the equivalent in informal language would be 'like'. "Ho dormito tipo due ore" = 'I slept for like two hours".

Anche - also. But is used for emphasis, such as in "Ma anche no!" literally "But also no!".

Decisamente - not strictly a filler word; it can be translated into 'definitely', 'greately' or 'positively' amongst other things. "Oggi fa decisamente piĆ¹ caldo" could be translated as 'Today it's definitely hotter'.

2 comments:

Canedolia said...

"Praticamente" is another one I really like. So meaningless, yet so useful!

Nerys said...

Hi Canedolia! Yes, that's on my list too! You're spot on about them being meaningless yet so useful!