Monday, September 19, 2011

Bye bye Summer...?

Finally it looks like Summer's over. Unlike most people in this country I'm glad to see the end of it. No more days of 30-odd degree temperatures and sticky nights unable to sleep. Over the weekend many areas of Northern and Central Italy saw a lot of thunderstorms, apparently 80,000 lightning bolts struck the North of the country in the space of 24 hours! In Milan it all kicked off Saturday night, and after a stormy evening I was woken up by thunder which sounded as if it were right over my house at 7am - luckily I always get up quite early on weekends, otherwise I really would have been annoyed!

And when it rains in Milan it rains. Especially in the summer when it gets really humid. Full-blown thunderstorms that you can see coming miles off (or maybe I should say kilometres??) that clear the air, at least for a bit. We don't really get much of that can't-really-be-bothered drizzle that the UK gets all year round. Oh no, when it rains here it doesn't mess about with it!

Here in the space of around 24 hours the temperature dropped around 10 degrees. For the first time in months I woke up cold this morning! I'm hoping I can dig out the duvet soon, I'm looking forward to curling up in it during the winter months. Today it's blowing a gale outside, the many leaves that have already fallen are swirling around. If I were a couple of kilos lighter I'd probably get blown away!!

There are rumours though that it's going to start warming up again this week though, I'm hoping it won't be the case...

3 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

We're even getting storms down here now. I'm like you - had enough summer!

Nerys said...

Hi Pat, I heard the storms were going down your way, about time eh?

Anonymous said...

Pounds, not Kilos, right?

When I read about all that, I can feel everything on my very skin.

How I hated Milan summers: the humidity, the heat, the smog, the dirt, the turds on the sideways, the smell in the subway, the racket in the streets, millions of idiots in their cars passing by bound to nowhere!

Ferragosto was a little relief.

The real thing was spending my summer vacation here in Germany. The weather is perfect, air is fresh and healthy, nature is wonderful, german people are civilized. More or less like in Como.

Well, winters and springs must be wonderful in Sicily, I think.

But my best choice to spend the winter would be the canary islands: a paradise on earth.

Cheers,
Geppetto