Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Novara-Inter

Don't ask me why, but for as long as I can remember I've had an interest in football, without being a fan of any particular team, and since being in Italy I've been following the Serie A. I can't even put my finger on why, I just find it interesting, and even moreso than British football, maybe because I didn't grow up with the Italian calcio culture.


Last night newly promoted Novara were playing world champions Inter. Novara's a city in Piedmont, its province shares its eastern border with the province of Milan, and it has a population of around 105,000. When I moved to Italy nearly three years ago I spent a couple of weeks in the province of Novara with a friend who had very kindly offered a place for me to whilst I got myself sorted; so I feel quite attached to the city, and was very happy when they were promoted from Serie B at the end of last season.


The game ended 3-1 to Novara, much to my surprise, even though Inter have had a bad start to the season. Amusingly I heard a lot of noise coming up from the trattoria next door - who'd have thought there were so many Novara fans in my part of the country?? And after lots of speculation this latest bad result has resulted in  Inter's coach, Gian Piero Gasperini, being shown the door after just three months with the club. It's certainly proving to be an interesting start for the Serie A this season!

3 comments:

Laruchka said...

Are you sure they weren't milanisti?! I was about to do a calcio post. You beat me to it.

Nerys said...

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that! And there *are* always a lot of milanisti there when their squadra's playing...

Anonymous said...

How totally gross!
This is no "culture" at all.