Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Countdown is On

Today's the 22nd of November. Which means there's one month left until I go home for Christmas. Well, until I should go home for Christmas. After last year I'm not taking anything for granted.

Last year I was stuck in Milan for Christmas, after heavy snowfall in both Italy and the UK. My flight did actually go, but there was too much snow for me to be able to get home from London. If you haven't spent a Christmas away from your loved ones, and not out of choice, then I don't think you could ever imagine what it really felt like. Even nearly all my Christmas presents got lost (yeah, more like stolen) in the post. Waking up alone on Christmas day is one of the saddest things I've ever experienced. It was like going through the motions, it wasn't real Christmas. I made myself a three-course Christmas dinner, I managed to find some turkey and rustled up some amazing stuffing (I LOVE stuffing). But when you've got nobody to share it with it's just like any other meal, just that there's more food involved.

Last week I saw the John Lewis Christmas advert, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I don't think I've ever felt so homesick in the three-and-a-bit years I've spent in Milan. To me it just summed up the typical British Christmas. Missing out on Christmas last year has only made me look forward to it this year even more. I can only hope that this year I won't be disappointed again.

No comments: