Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Countdown to Eurovision

Last night Sanremo finished. Finally. I know it sounds really anti-Italian of me, but it just doesn't interest me at all.  I've tried watching it in the past, I genuinely have, but I just don't 'get' it. In 2009, the first time I could watch it in Italy, I saw Annie Lennox (one of my idols) being interviewed; but since then I've watched very little of it. The inevitable scandal which is always created annoys me, the discussion about who's wearing what bores me, and the music seems to play only a tiny part in the whole event. The only way I was remotely interested in it was because I knew, as with last year, that Italy's representative for Eurovision would be chosen during the final evening of the competition. Thanks to all the talk about Sanremo everywhere - even my anti Sanremo filters on Tweetdeck weren't enough to avoid all the tweets - I knew very well who all the contestants were. I was very happy to wake up this morning and discover that Nina Zilli, my favourite singer from the Big or the already established singers, was going to be going to Eurovision. Here is her performing her Sanremo entry Per sempre from Tuesday. In bocca al lupo Nina!


4 comments:

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

San Remo does always seem to have a lot of controversy surrounding it but the Italian public still seem to love it. I heard somewhere that Eurovision came about as an idea from San Remo.

Nerys said...

Hi Linda, yes, it seems that the whole country was watching it again this year! It does seem to be the case, strange when you think that Italy then pulled out of it for years.

Laruchka said...

When I watch San Remo I feel like I have nothing in common with the whole of Italy!

Nerys said...

Me too, it's when I feel most like a foreigner...