Monday, July 16, 2012

Nerys vs ATM - Part 2

Oh ATM, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...


It always seems to be during the dark hours of the night that the bigger problems with Milan's public transport system happen. A few nights ago, post-aperitivo again, I had to take the metro home. This time I couldn't take the tram as that whole section of the route that would have taken me home has been replaced by a bus service. And from what I've heard it's pretty shambolic (quelle surprise....), with one bus service covering two different tram routes. And normal service isn't going to be restored until September. The joy.

Anyway, so the other night I had no choice. I was aware that I probably wasn't going to get home as quickly as I would have liked, as the summer timetable is now in force. Oh yes, from the beginning of July until the 2nd of September the public transport in Milan is running on a reduced service compared to the rest of the year. More joy.

And to add insult to injury they're doing work on my line of the underground. They've been doing these works for months and I hadn't experienced any problems before. The biggest issue they had caused me before was how trains for both directions had to use the same platform, so I had to be careful not to end up getting on one that would have taken me in the wrong direction. But this time it was a disaster. I only had to go two stops down the line, which should have taken me about 4 minutes for the actual journey in the train, without counting the possible wait at the station to actually get the train. From when I arrived at the station near the bar to when I got off the train at my home stop it took me 20 minutes. Ok, it may not seem much, but when you're tired and dying to get home to your bed it's a long time.

When I got down to the platform it was crowded, and looking over to the opposite platform that was just as bad. Obviously, Italy being Italy, there were no announcements about the delay, or any indication as to when a train would actually arrive. We just had to wait it out.

So the moral of the story is: never trust public transport in Italy. It will always conspire against you.

No comments: