Monday, November 19, 2012

The problem with plugs

Without this little white thing I wouldn't be able to watch tv!

One thing I just can't understand is why all Italian plugs and sockets aren't the same.

I mean, is it really that difficilt to have one size for everything? Or am I missing something? It's just in the UK I never had this problem...

I don't even know how many adapters I have in my house anymore. And that's not even counting the ones I have for the things I bought over from the UK and haven't been bothered to change (yes, I know, I'm lazy). As far as my Italian appliances go, I've got one for the tv, one for the coffee machine, one for the kettle... Their original plugs don't fit in the sockets. Yet some things are fine, like my little electric oven for example, that plugs into one of the sockets I've got in the kitchen without any problems.

Last week I got a new fridge delivered - pretty much at the crack of dawn I'd like to add - and in order for the plug to be able to fit in the socket the delivery men had to use the nearest adapter they could find, which was the one I had for the tv, which was unplugged at the time. So that now means I'm technically one adapter down. This morning in order to dry my hair I had to steal my computer's adapter, a lot of going back and forward I could have done without first thing in the morning! (Like I said, I'm lazy).

I guess I can file this under 'Even the smallest things about life in Italy can be surprisingly difficult/annoying/inconvenient'.

4 comments:

Canedolia said...

Understanding Frenchman once tried to tell me that British plugs were yet another example of our failure to integrate in Europe. When I pointed out to him that UK supermarkets do not have entire aisles devoted to adaptors that have nothing to do with travel, he admitted that perhaps we're not the only enemies of standardisation after all...

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

My husband tells me that this problem arises when the items are not made in Italy, but in other contries for example Germany, where the sockets are slightly different.

Nerys said...

Hi Canedolia, that's so true! I remember the last time I had to buy one there were so many to choose from!

That makes sense Lindy, I guess I thought seeing as they were being made for the Italian market it should make a difference...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ha! Yes, drives me bonkers too.