Thursday, July 25, 2013

Roadworks


Beep.. beep...beep... beep... beep...

That's the noise that's been waking me up just after seven every day this week. It's the irritating high-pitched beep of a large vehicle reversing. At seven in the morning. 


Summer in Italy is a season of going to the beach, nothing but repeats on tv, heat... and roadworks. The cities empty and the diggers move in, making the most of the quieter roads. A few weeks ago I'd seen that there was some work planned in my neighbourhood on the gas line, but I didn't expect anything quite on this level. My street's been closed, and there's now a massive hole right in the middle of it.

The worst thing about it is the hours the workmen have. It all kicks off with the beeps, and then even before the church bells have struck eight the drilling begins. I know they need to start work early before the heat really kicks in, but I think 7am is a bit too early. There are some people left in the city, people who would appreciate not getting rudely awaken every morning...

1 comment:

silencer137 said...

I am sorry for that and feel with you. I know exactly how annoying this is. Someone is building a new house in our quiet village, right opposite my appartment. For weeks now I am woken by the "BeepBeep" of the trucks and the "BRRRR" before the tower crane starts to lift something.