Saturday, July 27, 2013

Word of The Week


La spiaggia - beach

Milan may be close to the lakes and mountains, but unfortunately it's far away from the sea. Last weekend I had my first beach outing of the year, down in the Emilia-Romagna region of central Italy. After growing up with the freezing cold and grey Atlantic sea, every year when I go back to the beach I can't help but be surprised at how warm the sea is here! And the beaches really are something else. You'll have a hard time finding a spiagga libera - free beach - in many places, as the large majority are privately owned. Row upon row upon row of colourful umbrellas dot the Italian coast, which you pay to use, as well as a sunlounger to lie on. Luckily I didn't get sunburnt, but my factor 30 was certainly put to the test!

No comments: