Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Week Back in Wales

So what did I do during my week back in the Old Country?

Well, I ate.



And ate.



And ate some more.



Oh, and there was also the small matter of being a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding.



I hadn't been back twice in such a short amount of time since I first arrived in Italy nearly five years ago, but in some ways it felt as if I had been away for longer. I kept noticing things that we don't have in Italy, or things that had changed in the last five years - silly things such as the ridiculous amount of short-term loan ads on tv, and the free wifi that was everywhere in my hometown (LOTS of love for the free wifi). Between the week in July and the week I've just had it was impossible to ignore the much bigger changes. In the year and a half-ish up until July that I'd been in Italy without going back home so much had changed, so many people had changed. Everyone was getting married, having kids, and settling down. By this time round even my baby brother was engaged, and we had a lovely meal out with his fiancée's family. It did also make for some not-so-great situations such as during the wedding reception when the big old soppy ballads came on, and my now two married friends were dancing with their husbands and I was left on my own like a loser, crying into my vodka orange. Yeah.

It's strange seeing everyone moving on without you, but I guess that's one of the downsides of living abroad in such a beautiful country like Italy.

4 comments:

rinaz said...

I feel the same too, with everyone moving on in life and with me not being there to see the small changes, it can be rather shocking each time I come back.

It can get depressing. But lucky for you, Wales isn't that far away from Italy :-)

silencer137 said...

What are the black-ish things in the upper-right of the first picture?

Besides, experiencing feelings of beeing left behind has nothing to do with living in another country. Sometimes moving from a village to the next city is enough. I left my hometown to life just 50 Kilometers away, and after two years I felt the same as you when I returned there. Especially on celebrations in the old town I can feel how much the blueprints of our lifes differ. And while I do not miss anything in my life, I feel like an outsider. See, this has nothing to do with italy. Italy just makes it more bearable, I think.

Laruchka said...

Ugh, I hate that feeling of being left out when you get back!

Nerys said...

Hi Rinaz, you're right. I'm lucky in that sense :)

Silencer, they're mushrooms. I agree, moving away to anywhere's enough to feel left out.

Ciao Laruchka, it's rubbish isn't it? :(