Saturday, September 7, 2013

Word of The Week



Il matrimonio - wedding

The photo is the aftermath of an Anglo-Italian wedding I went to a couple of years ago... A week today my best friend is getting married, and I'm a damigella or bridesmaid. I've got a gorgeous light blue dress I can't wait to wear. Unlike in the UK or US there isn't a tradition of having bridesmaids in Italy, even though recently some brides have started to have them here too. Every time I've mentioned that I'm going to be a bridesmaid to my Italian friends the first thing that comes to their minds is an American tv show that's on here which involves bridesmaids choosing their dresses. And the matrimonio also means I get to spend some time back in the Old Country again!

2 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, when I was a child I always wanted to be bridesmaid and never was! Hope you're going to post a pic of yourself in the dress.

Nerys said...

Hi Pat, will do! :)