Monday, November 4, 2013

Coats and Confusion



After some unseasonably warm weather it's finally time to buy this year's winter coat. And by unseasonably warm I mean that just over a week ago when I was in Florence I was walking around in a t-shirt and cardigan. During the last weekend of October. Crazy.

When it comes to winter coats, it's all fun and games in the Italian language. There are different words for different kinds of coats. A jacket is a giacca (the 'gi' is an English 'j' sound), so that's easy enough. Then there's piumino. This can mean both 'coat' and 'duvet'. Piumini are those coats that I call 'sleeping bag coats', the plastic-y looking ones that are filled with feathers. I tried one a couple of years ago and felt and looked ridiculous. The Italians however, totally rock them. A piumone however, is just a quilt. There's also giubbotto which is somewhere inbetween a giacca and a full-blown coat. The generic word for coat is cappotto and a hood is a cappuccio. And staying on a wintery theme a hat is a cappello.

Confused? I am.

1 comment:

Jenny P said...

Had some coaching from my neighbour about what to ask for before I bought a cappotto yesterday. Now I wonder when I'll wear it...