Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sardinia

It's been impossible to avoid the news coming out of Sardinia over the last 24 hours. I have to admit that I've never been to the island, but when this kind of disaster hits my beloved adopted country it's obvious that I'm affected. In 24 hours the same amount of rain has fallen in some areas of the region as what normally does in six months. 18 people have died and 2,700 are reported to have been evacuated from their homes.

I've seen photos from a couple of my friends in Sardinia - not in the worst affected areas, luckily - and reports of the situation where they are, things I couldn't ever imagining in somewhere like an island that's associated with sunny blue skies and clear blue seas. I've seen images on the news of bridges that have been carried away by the water, streets completely flooded, cars almost completely submurged by the water...

In my cosy home in the metropolis of Milan I can't imagine what these people must be going through. My heart goes out to everyone on the island who has been affected. Un abbraccio alla Sardegna.

No comments: