Thursday, December 12, 2013

Il panettondoro

When it comes to the panettone vs pandoro discussion I'm firmly in the panettone camp. Call me biased because panettone is traditionally from Milan, but I much prefer it. Yesterday I had to get my shopping done, and it was going to be the day that I bought my first panettone of the season. Except I came home with this:



A panettondoro. It wasn't intentional, honest. I've been having a bit of a tough time with my Italian this week, recently for one reason or another far too many things have been going straight over my head. I blame this bad period on me not realising that the writing on the box said panettondoro and not panettone.



I'd never seen one of these before, and I assume it's a gimmick that's been thought up in time for this Christmas. The word is a combination of both panettone and pandoro, and that's basically what I got when I tried the first slice. It's quite nice actually, it has a bit of a strange texture for someone used to eating panettone every year, but it's not as dry as normal panettoni. The next time I'll definitely read the box very carefully before picking the cake off the shelf though...

6 comments:

Canedolia said...

Feeling ignorant here - what's the difference?

Laruchka said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-mdtmdVes - always makes me laugh. I'm not sure why!

Nerys said...

Canedolia - between a pandoro and a panettone? A pandoro's more like a fluffy cake, a panettone's more like fruit bread. The panettondoro is a mixture of both, it's more spongey than a normal panettone :)

Laruchka - I remember that! :)

Rake said...

Panettondoro can be more spongey, but it's definitely more sad than panettone and pandoro, an abomination of pastry-making.
I bet it said to you: "End my pain, eat me please".

Rake said...

Panettondoro can be more spongey, but it's definitely more sad than panettone and pandoro, an abomination of pastry-making.
I bet it said to you: "End my pain, eat me please".

Canedolia said...

Thanks for enlightening me, everyone! I'm pretty sure panettone is the one I like too, and definitely with fruit.