Saturday, April 26, 2014

Word of The Week



Uovo - egg

The word for egg in Italian is a bitch. One egg is uovo, masculine singular. Multiple eggs are uova, feminine plural. Yes, when a batch of eggs get together in Italy they change gender.

It's been the week of uova for me. As I was in Genova last weekend I didn't get to tuck into my eggs until Easter Monday. My mam had brought me over some goodies when she visited at the end of last month, and I'd managed to keep the two big eggs - one Dairy Milk, and one from Thornton's which was decorated with a design of a scooter in white chocolate! - to eat until it was actually Easter. And did I enjoy them!

3 comments:

Elspeth said...

There's something about words beginning with "uo"...uomo becoming uomini makes me think that there are "little men", but no, they are just plural, regular men...

Alison Jackson said...

I admire your restraint in not eating them as soon as your mum unpacked them!

Nerys said...

I love the plural uomini, sort of expresses the pack mentality a lot of men have...