Monday, June 2, 2014

La Festa della Repubblica




June 2nd is a national holiday in Italy, it's the Festa della Repubblica, or Republic Day. It commemorates the foundation of the Italian republic, following a referendum that was held on the 2nd and 3rd of June 1946. ATM, the company that provides public transport in Milan, has created a special ticket for the occassion, depicting the Costituzione Italiana - you guessed it, the Italian Constitution. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to souvenirs like this, so tonight when I was out and about I made sure to buy one!

3 comments:

creepo said...

Pretty nifty. Was there anything special done for the day by the city? Fireworks or something?

Nerys said...

I was working all day so I wasn't aware of anything. There is a big military parade in Rome every year though.

creepo said...

So it was a national holiday but you had to work? Well that is bust :P