Saturday, June 28, 2014

Word of The Week




Prenotare - to book/to reserve

After arriving back in Milan from Rome it was time to prenotare my summer holiday in August. I'll be spending five days on the Adriatic coast in Riccione, Rimini's lesser-known next-door neighbour. I had a hotel to prenotare and my train tickets to comprare (buy), and after the usual fight with the Trenitalia site which never seems to want to cooperate when I need to buy tickets, I got everything sorted. I can't wait to spend a few days relaxing on the beach!

The foto refers to a prenotazione, which is the noun 'booking' or 'reservation'. And here's a protip if you're learning the language: nouns ending in -azione, such as prenotazione, nazione (nation), and azione itself which means 'action', are feminine, and in the plural form the final 'e' becomes an 'i'.

No comments: