Saturday, August 16, 2014

The little (and not so little) things a Welsh expat in Italy misses

I was watching a British show when at one point two of the characters sat down to have one of those bowls of cappuccino you get back in the Old Country. I had a flashback of all the huge cappuccinos and big slabs of cake (mmmm chocolate fudge cake) I'd had in various different coffee shops over the years, and I started thinking of all the things I used to take for granted before I moved to Italy nearly six years ago. Maybe being on holiday (even though it hasn't even been 24 hours yet) makes me nostalgic? I put together a list of the first 25 things that came to my mind that every so often I think about, and miss.

1. Being able to walk into a shop and buy medicine off the shelf, and without paying a fortune for it. I used to swear by Tesco's 45p extra strength paracetamol, and pay about 10 times that now.

2. Supermarkets where you can buy everything. Yes, ipermercati exist here, but the Tesco in my hometown is huge.

3. And whilst I'm on the subject of supermarkets, 24 hour supermarkets and ones that are open every day of the year except Christmas.

4. Clothes shops that have better variety, sizes, and prices.

5. Buying ridiculous amounts of clothes at Primark. £10 jeans!! Sigh.

6. Always finding something to watch on tv at any time of day, even if you've just got Freeview.

7. Fish & chips. Battered sausage & chips. Pie & chips. Chips & curry sauce. Chippies in general.

8. 6pm being an acceptable time to have supper.

9. Pick & mix sweets. Especially toffee bonbons.

10. Dairy Milk and all its delicious varieties.

11. Salt & vinegar crisps. All the different crisp flavours (ok, not cheese & onion), but especially salt & vinegar. My weakness.

12. The Chinese restaurant my family has been going to for nearly all my life, and its amazing sweet & sour pork.

13. Going to the beach on sunny, breezy days. Not when it's 35+ degrees.

14. Knowing who the random 'celebrities' on TV are.

15. Proper spreadable butter. Having toast with proper spreadable butter and strawberry jam for breakfast.

16. Ribena. Lucozade. Orange squash.

17. One word for 'hello' and 'bye', and not having to have endless discussions in my head over which varient to use at any given time.

18. Being able to sleep with a duvet all year round. (Even though this year hasn't been far off with the rubbish summer Italy's had.)

19. Reliable post.

20. Chicken soup. The ultimate comfort food.

21. Pot Noodle. (Sorry not sorry)

22. Cider. Especially on a warm summer's day.

23. No random dialect words that I can't understand.

24. Humour I can understand.

25. And there's a pretty big one to end on: being anonymous in a crowd.

3 comments:

gooddayrome.com said...

Nerya, this is a great list. My U.S. list would be close although I really do not miss the food. But I never really know who all these people on TV are. Politicians, singers, actors: all are anonymous to me. I do miss understanding what is going on in the tiny corners of culture.

Nutrakarma Brighton, London said...

Hi Nerys! I just heard you on radio dj with Rudy and Laura. I am from Padova but I have been living in Brighton for 6 years. Your list is brilliant and made me smile. It reminded me what I don't miss about Italy, apart from the food even though I am a vegan. :) x

Laruchka said...

Ahhh.. the 'celebs' on tv... you never said a truer word.