Saturday, October 31, 2015

Ciao Netflix!

This is what Netflix looks like in Italy!

Ok, so I'm a bit late to the party only writing about it now, but after an evening at the cinema and a weekend in Rome I only signed up to Netflix on Tuesday. It finally arrived in Italy last Thursday, the 22nd of October - coincidentally the anniversary of my arrival in Italy! - after much hype and discussion online.

I hadn't been crafty and tried to watch the US/UK Netflix before its' arrival in Italy, so it was all new to me. Well, not all new seeing how well-known it is all over the world, and the success of its' own productions outside Italy, but I'd never actually tried this much-talked about toy myself. And I was very excited!

What I was most excited about was the availability of original audio for English-language shows. All the TV shows and films on Netflix have original audio as well as Italian, and also subtitles for both languages (handy if you're learning!). Their original productions also have additional languages such as Spanish and French. I only have bog-standard digital TV, and only very few channels give you the option to watch shows with the original audio. Understanding Italian isn't a problem for me, but I've never quite got used to dubbing, I just can't get my head around shows and films set so obviously in another country where the characters are speaking Italian.

Everything I've been watching so far has been US shows. Specifically Orange is The New Black! It's not quite what I expected, but I'm really enjoying it. The balance between serious issues and comedy works really well. There isn't a great deal of Italian stuff (at least at the moment), and it's mostly films, nothing that appeals that much to me, but then again I'm not a big fan of Italian cinema. Everyone gets a month's free trial to start off with, and I intend on making the most of it, and I intend on exploring it as much as I can! 

1 comment:

Giannis said...

How nice!! :) I hope it will come soon in Greece... ;)